I was born in Colombia in 1975 and grew up in Bogotá. I studied Film and Television Production at the University of Westminster, London/UK. After graduating with a Bachelor's in Arts degree in 2002, I moved to New York City where I started freelancing in the film, television, print, and web industries under various capacities: from production assistant and logger to camera assistant, video assist, photo assistant, and digital tech. Then as a director of photography, producer, and video editor. In 2007 I started a production company, Above All Productions, Inc., to offer video production and post-production services in the creation of short-form video. I have since then worked with many wonderful clients helping them tell their stories through video. In 2016 and 2017, I spent about a year living in Los Angeles, CA. In 2018 I closed my company and started offering services again as an individual freelancer. Now, I am bicoastal, and I am splitting my time between both NYC and LA.
Personal / Professional Overview
- A technical and creative Video Producer, Director of Photography, Video Editor, and Digital Tech with 17 years of experience
- A conceptual thinker with strong creative vision and design sense
- A curious storyteller with a passion for science, technology, travel, and social issues
- A digital video production and post-production professional who effectively brings projects from ideation to reality
- An organized and reliable team member who can work under pressure and sticks to tight deadlines
- An enthusiastic self-starter who can work independently
- A collaborator with strong communication and management skills
What is your dream job?
Frequently travel as a video journalist and documentary filmmaker.
Describe your dream assignment:
Discover the world, meet new people, learn from the experience, tell a story, shoot video, edit, upload the finished video, and then do it again.
What is the most important thing in your life?
My family and friends will always be my priority. I try being a loving son and brother, partner, and friend. I want to live a spiritual life and do good for humanity.
What's your idea of a perfect Saturday night?
I am sitting comfortably in front of a fantastic view somewhere in the world while having a conversation with a local, new friend.
What's your idea of a perfect Monday morning?
My perfect Monday morning is one that comes unnoticed because I'm not counting the days to pay the bills. It is the morning in which I wake up early and continue with my life and work; happily doing something productive.
In ten years, I want to be:
In ten years, I want to be happy and without regrets.
What is your Mantra?
Life is Beautiful:)
- Video production and post-production
- Shooting video with most digital cinema, photography, and broadcast cameras
- Shooting photography with mirrorless, DSLR, and medium format cameras
- Lighting for video and photography, in studio and location using continuous lighting and strobes
- Lighting and shooting green/blue screens and seamless backgrounds
- Audio recording and mixing on small video shoots
- Closed captioning and subtitles
- Knowledge of video codecs, broadcast technical standards, and best practices
- Knowledge of the cloud, content management systems (CMS), streaming and social media platforms like Youtube, Facebook, and Instagram
- Knowledge of archiving and SAN systems
- Logging, tagging and annotating assets with metadata
- Creation of workflows for production and post-production
- Research skills
- Scriptwriting and storyboarding
- Knowledge of the entertainment and television industry
- Knowledge and familiarity with production hardware and software
- Directing on camera talent
- Closed captioning and subtitles
- Knowledge of SEO and Analytics
- Transcribing and translating English <-> Spanish
- Computer Skills
- Video editing: Premiere and Final Cut (Pro and X)
- Video graphics: After Effects, Motion, Cinema 4D, Illustrator.
- Video capture and asset management: CatDV, Canon XF Utility, Sony Content Browser, CineForm Studio, Shot Put Pro, RedCine X.
- Video Color Correction: DaVinci Resolve, Speed Grade, RedCine X, CineForm Studio. Also, with plug-ins: BorisFx, Red Giant Color Suite, Tiffen DFX, Color Finesse.
- Audio fixing, design and mixing with Adobe Audition and with plug-ins from Izotope and Waves
- Video Capture, on set first pass, LUT creation, asset management and dailies with Sony Catalyst, Sony Raw Viewer, CatDV, Shot Put Pro, Red Cine X, Comfort Siverstack, Livegrade Pro and DaVinci Resolve
- Video compression with Adobe Media Encoder, Apple Compressor, Telestream Episode, Sorenson Squeeze
- Photography and video retouching and compositing with Photoshop and After Effects
- Photography capture and processing (Digital Tech) with Capture One and Lightroom
- Video Capture, processing: On set first pass, LUT creation, Asset Management and dailies (Digital Imaging Technician / DIT and Data Wrangler) with Sony Catalyst, Sony Raw Viewer, CatDV, ShotPut Pro, Red Cine X, Comfort Siverstack, Livegrade Pro and DaVinci
- Web design and maintenance with Adobe's Dreamweaver and WordPress. HTML, CSSWork Experience
01/2018 — Current Freelance / IndependentVideo Producer, Editor, and Director of Photography. — New York, NY
- I create videos that inform, promote, educate, entertain, and inspire
- I deliver high quality, engaging and effective videos that are on time, budget, and brand
- I produce, shoot and edit corporate, marketing and educational videos including promos, commercials, social media videos, explainers, product demonstrations, tutorials, how-to videos, e-commerce videos, music videos, short films, and documentaries
- As a Producer, I manage projects and teams keeping everything on time and budget. I ideate, write, storyboard, plan, and execute
- As a Videographer, I capture high-quality footage that captures the essence of the story.I light, shoot, record audio, and direct on-camera talent
- As an Editor, I excel at editing engaging and effective branded, promotional, educational, and entertaining content. I edit, color correct, create motion graphics, do compositing, effects, and audio design
07/2017 — 03/2019 Editor, Motion Graphics Editor, Finishing Editor, Assistant Editor, DIT, Compositor, and Colorist. The Shed. — New York, NY
- Created and managed the post-production efficient workflows that effectively simplified the collaboration between all stakeholders like editors, producers, and clients
- Worked on all videos and projects for multiple clients, including one long term project in the creation of over 300 promotional product and food videos for OXO; the leading brand of home and kitchen products
- Acted as a DIT (Digital Imaging Technician) during video shoots, making sure that all footage was captured correctly, copied, backed. Then, created and maintained consistency of color looks / LUTS of all proxies and footage
- Logged, tagged and created first drafts of videos to pass to the editors
- Edited dozens of short videos for the web and social media
- Created motion graphics and titles for most videos
- Worked on the finishing of all videos doing compositing, retouching, effects, and color correcting
- Created deliverables ensuring they passed quality control
- Maintained a company-wide archive of all projects
1/2007 — 12/2017 Video Producer, Director of Photography, Editor and Owner. Above All Productions, Inc. — New York, NY
- Produced, shot, and edited hundreds of short-form videos for a variety of clients, including companies like SAP, Start Gas / Petrol, and Arup. Non-for-profit organizations like ISMS, You Can Thrive and the Chefs Collaborative. Political campaigns like Joe Biden’s bid for President in 2008. Moreover, for magazines like All You, Ladies Home Journal, Fitness and Shape
- Worked closely with the client’s creative marketing departments and teams in the development of ideas and effectively incorporating innovative video into their digital content marketing strategy
- Increased interest in brands and products with the creation of original branded video content
- Substantially increased video views and audience engagement with high production value videos
- Successfully improved the quality of the client’s internal communications and training of employees with the use of storytelling and video
- Specialized in the production and post-production of marketing, educational, editorial and corporate videos like promos, commercials, documentaries, music videos, how-to videos, tutorials, explainers, product demos, and short films
- Provided digital tech services on hundreds of fashion, beauty, fitness, product, commercial, and art photoshoots for magazines, advertising agencies, and museums
1/2003 — 1/2007 FreelanceFilmmaker — New York, NY
- Worked on many films, video, photography, and web productions, including feature films, short films, documentaries, reality shows, infomercials, commercials, and photo shoots
- Worked as a videographer, lighting cameraman, camera operator, video assist, playback operator, video engineer, editor, digital photographer, digital tech, digital capture technician, photo assistant, web designer, DVD authoring, office tech support, sound person, cable wrangler, production assistant, camera assistant, assistant editor, logger, runner and assistant everything
9/1999 — 7/2002 BA on Film and TV Production. University of Westminster — London, UK
9/1998 — 7/1999 Access to Media Studies, English, Social Sciences, and Humanities. Westminster College — London, UK
English and Spanish
IDA – International Documentary Association
NALIP – National Association of Latino Independent Producers